Juried Open Call with Robert Shane: The Vision of Care
JURORS: Robert Shane
DEADLINE: Feb 15, 2021
The Vision of Care
Posed as a visual complement to psychologist Carol Gilligan’s notion of “the voice of care”, this call for entries welcomes artwork in any media that touches on themes of care and related topics, for example: mothering/parenting/childcare, caring for the environment, self-care, empathy, tenderness, reciprocity, need, healing, vulnerability. This artwork might provoke questions about care: What relationships exist between the practice of care and the practice of art making? How do artists bear witness to care giving and care receiving? Through either their images or processes, what new visionary models of care do artists offer that viewers can in turn practice in the world outside the gallery? How can artistic visions help us to be responsive to difference so we can see the needs of others without “othering” them? What is art’s relationship to the time of care, as in art that cares for or commemorates the past or recalls memories of being cared for; art that cares for the present moment, as in contemplative arts traditions; or even art that begins to care for the future? The Vision of Care seeks to highlight the role art plays, to use the words of care theorists Joan C. Tronto and Bernice Fisher, “in maintaining and repairing our world so that we can live in it as well as possible.”
About the juror-
Robert R. Shane received his Ph.D. in Art History and Criticism from Stony Brook University where he studied with Donald Kuspit. Dr. Shane’s art criticism has appeared in The Brooklyn Rail and his scholarly research has been published in Hypatia. His current book project in process is Mirroring Mothers: Witnessing Maternal Subjectivity in Contemporary Art.
Dr. Shane is Associate Professor of Art History at the College of Saint Rose in Albany, New York; former Managing Editor of the journal Art Criticismpublished by Stony Brook University; and a frequent contributor of essays and entries on art for books published by Phaidon Press, London.
- Exhibition Dates: April 9 – May 23, 2021
- Call for submissions: Jan 10 – Feb 15, 2021
- Artists notified: via email Mar. 7, 2021
- Juror: Robert Shane – art historian, critic, and writer for the Brooklyn Rail. Associate Professor of Art History at the College of Saint Rose in Albany, NY.
- Exhibition will be in the Main Gallery of WAAM
- Open to all artists within 50 miles of WAAM
- Group exhibition
- All media are welcome – must be able to deliver the work to WAAM (if tech is utilized, artist must provide setup & equipment), open to artists within 50 miles of Woodstock, NY.
- Artists will submit 4-10 jpgs/pngs/mp3/mov files of works for the juror’s consideration. All media are welcome.
- All submitted work must be available to install on-site at WAAM by March 31, 2021
- You must have means to transport the work to WAAM
- Drop off days for submitted work will be March 31st from 10:00am-4:00 pm. Individual time slots will be scheduled.
- Artists receive 60% of sales during the run of the exhibition
- $20 Application Fee for non-members
- Members apply for free
*If you are a non-member experiencing financial hardship and would like to apply, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org